Mooshika.org - Welcome! Bienvenue!

In the Hindu religion, rats represent foresight and prudence, and white ones are very lucky. Mooshika is the name of the steed that Ganesh - god of new beginnings and of fire, knowledge, wisdom, literature and worldly success - rides upon. The steed, of course, is the intelligent and gentle rat. “Mooshika” means “little hoarder.”


Dans la religion hindoue, les rats représentent la prévoyance et la prudence, les blancs étant considérés comme particulièrement chanceux. Mooshika est le nom du destrier de Ganesh – dieu des nouveaux départs, du feu, du savoir, de la sagesse, de la littérature et du succès matériel. Ce destrier, bien sûr, est un digne représentant de la race douce et intelligente des rats. Le nom ''Mooshika'' signifie petit amasseur.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Live Cargo shipping to move or travel with pets

A safer alternative: Live Cargo shipping
One experienced list member's advice on flying with rats
I have shipped rats a few times now and if I were you I would get a small proper carrying cage (airline approved) - even safer if people can see inside.

Animals are sent out Cargo every single day and I found them wonderful looking out for my rats on the day of the event every time I shipped them.

I nailed a little hard sided house about 1/4 the size of the required airline carrier securely in place. It had a blanket all fluffed up inside in layers in case it was too cold or they wanted to hide. I had a towel and a good quality small bottle in it well taped on, some lab blocks as well as some grapes that keep well and carrots soaked in ice water.

I made sure the carrier was well marked, "This way up small animals" and my name, address and phone number attached as well.

I also found the staff very nice, most helpful and more people saying "oh aren't they cute" or they simply did not bother to comment at all.

On one trip a while back some of my rats missed their connection and were looked after by a nice stewardess who checked their water bottle that was taped on. She assured me they would be watched and put right on the next plane.

I know one cargo guy who is a friend of our family at the Ottawa airport and he is in charge of Cargo and takes the animals and sees they are put on the plane too. I saw it happen myself and the animals were driven from inside right to the plane and carefully put on. They sent a special truck to get my rats for me too when they arrived.

The Cargo department's temperature is controlled as well and he says the airlines have to be careful and look after animals best they can, just like people. They don't want any more trouble than needed either.

I think if you see that your rat is put on and locked up carefully, and it has a warm bed inside with some grapes and soaked carrots, and the flight is not way over 13 hours like mine was, or a change of planes, you will be just fine.

I am not saying things never go wrong and others have not had some bad luck but many animals go in and out every day from our airport and do just fine. You will hear some bad experiences but hardly ever hear any good ones. I had three pretty good ones and a lot of people do care.

My good version is when travelling through customs and a 13 hour flight and 2 planes with a transfer my rats woke up and stretched and yawned and greeted me at the door saying, "Oh are we here now? Time to get up?"

Good luck to you!

No comments: